Friday 30 April 2010

Getting Rusty!

.
Began spraying my 15mm wasteland terrain. It was a beautiful morning first thing - took my stuff outside to spray - and the moment I was ready, the wind picked up!

Nevertheless, you can see an encouraging example of the results from the first coat below.

Wasteland Outpost - Rusty WIP


The Krylon Matt Warm Aubegine has worked out really well - available from Hobbycraft for just £4.99.

I like the colour and as there will be plenty left am seriously considering using it as part of a two-tone scheme on some of my Sci Fi armour.

I intend giving the terrain bases another coat of Warm Aubergine in a short while before applying some dark washes of GW Devlan Mud, artist acrylic Burnt Umber. The rust effect will be created with artist acrylics Mars Orange.

TIP: Cheap & effective turntable
from a styrene Pizza packaging base


Update:

I'm very impressed by the even and smooth finish of the Krylon spray. The instructions on the can recommended spraying from 25cm, but I found the coverage was too light, so held the can much closer with no adverse effects. I tell you, I'd paint all my tanks with this stuff if possible!


Cheers
Mark
.

6 comments:

  1. Mark, given the strong winds, do you now have rusty laundry ? :D

    Looking forward to the completed, rusted pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At last! A use for Aubegine that doesn't include a feature wall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really impressed looking forward to the finished product.

    Cheers

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Job. Time for me to start toy scavenging perhaps? I've had similarly good results with Krylon. I use the Ruddy Brown Primer (looks similar $4 USD) as the primer and base color for my guardsmen.

    Unrelatedly, where can I find the dropship in your banner?

    ReplyDelete
  5. One question: Do you plan on covering / filling up those rivet holes Mark ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the enthusiastic responses!

    The Dropship in the banner is an OOP Peter Pig BOMAG Dropship.

    No Piotr - absolutely NO intention filling in the rivet holes or filing MADE IN CHINA off the car chassis :-)

    This is a FUN project not a modelling exercise. I'm deliberately going for an overall look rather than terrain masterpieces.

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete