Wednesday 13 January 2010

Earth Force Marines - Class!

.
My mantra for 2009 was "You can never have enough Earth Force Marines". I probably have sufficient to keep me busy for another 6 months, especially as I don't have none of that there fancy 'dip' and have to paint them the old fashioned way..... with a lick of spit and a Sable Premier P33 size '0'.

My favourite brush is, well, was.... an Airfix No. '6'. No, don't laugh! It may have had the Tommy Cooper of pedigrees as far as brushes go, but it had a fine tip was a sterling perfomer for over a decade. I reasoned that if the job needed a smaller brush in 15mm, I wasn't going to notice the detail anyway.

The brush took a pounding with all these new figures over the past year, and to be honest, I became careless and didn't look after it. Nevertheless it is still playing a useful role as drybrush No.2.

Back to chummy here in the photo. To me, these Earth Force Marines are classic Sci Fi soldiery - and can't get more classic than the 4518th Lift Infantry Regiment, the Duke of Regina's Own Huscarles. I have squads of these Marines basecoated GW Adeptus Battlegrey, mounted on old CDs and perched on any convenient flat space in the study just waiting to be finished.

Little and often.... 6-7 minis an evening, don't push it and enjoy the experience. That's the advice I gave myself and despite the extra effort - really enjoyed painting these minis. More likely to get a platoon finished by the weekend like this than forcing myself to sit in front of 30 miniatures and push my enthusiasm to get them done in 48 hours.

Cheers
Mark
.

2 comments:

  1. Looks excellent Mark.

    I like the colors.

    Looks like he could use a colorful shoulder badge though, to show he is an elite trooper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rob. They were supposed to be crisp 'white' spacesuited Marines but I decided to grunge them.

    Yes, am following the Master Chef's golden rule on adding badges to miniatures - just haven't decided fully what just yet. I'll wait until the unit is complete.

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete