Monday 7 September 2009

Under the Radar..... Neo-Soviet Kombine Ramblings

.
Back at the end of June I wrote about the suitability of the Flames of War 15mm WW2 Soviet Sapper-Engineer Flamethrower Platoon to become Traveller/Traveller Book 4: Mercenary mid-tech Infantry with laser carbines (Click here). Well, PROJECKT KOMBINE has been progressing under the radar since then.

My vision is a planetary Götterdämmerung! Continent sized cities are the battlefields, in a dystopian "diesalpunk" future inspired by Berlin 1945 and Grozny 1999-2000.

Initially I was thinking of only using the Flamethrower platoon figures as a Mid-tech energy weapon armed force. At this point I saw them very much standing alongside RAFM's ex-Traveller/Striker Mid-Tech Infantry. Discussing the project offline initially with Master Chef and latterly with Eli, I'm now aiming towards a Lower Mid-tech urban combat force which has a mix of high velocity Gauss neo-assault carbines (PPSHs) and early technology energy weapons (Laser/Plasma or similar).

Neo-Soviet Kombine
Urban Assault Batnova

To reflect the newness of this 'emerging' technology on TOE, one Plashnya per Kompnya will be armed with energy weapons. One box of SU803 Sapper-Engineers and 2 boxes of SU804 Sapper-Engineer Flamethrowers will give me a Batnova of 3 Kompnyas or preferably two understrength Batnovas.

The project received a boost when I discovered this superb Soviet era urban 'ameoba ' camouflage suit, which just felt like it had the correct Sci Fi and Neo-Soviet look and combined with helmet visors added from greenstuff would move the figures away from their more obvious WW2 origins.

At the moment I'm looking at using traditional FOW style bases for these miniatures and to make my life easier, the 4 man urban bases from The Scene are certainly worth considering.

Here's a rough impression I created as part of my 'mood board' to help me visualise the overall look of the Neo-Soviet Kombine urban combat force - naturally they will look better on urban terrain bases and to excentuate the urban devastation I've purchased a tub of GF9 Ash Waste Flock to try out.

For AFVs I'm looking at a mix of wheeled, tracked and early Grav technology. WW2 era T70s converted into troop carriers, Battlefront M3 Scout Cars (in lieu of a decent BTR 40), Skytrex BTR152s and GZG (grav) Light Gun/Scoutsleds.

I'm in no rush. This is a labour of love and I'll probably not get round to painting and basing until I have time off work at the end of October/beginning November. But, it's something fun to pull out and crack on with when I need a break from my mainstream Sci Fi projects.

Drasny Provovnik!
Mark
.

10 comments:

  1. Excellent looking figures! The camo is especially nice while the visors really look like they are glowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a similar project on the drawing board, though for mine, I am designing them for dual roles as Wierd War 2 figs and scifi. To this end, I will not be making many conversions to the figs, if any.

    Your sample treatment of the ameoba cam makes it look a lot less blatent than the fabric samples you showed me originally.

    -Eli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark,

    Just found your great blog - nice to know I'm not painting and playing in a 15mm Sci-Fi wilderness!
    Could you provide some comment on the rules you use? I still haven't found any I really like!

    - Paddy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol have they sussed your 'paint job' yet? :)

    Looks good though Mark are you going to get the green stuff out for the visors?

    Craig @ Critical Mass Games

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paddy

    Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated. Rules, OK! I'll pop some comments up during the week.

    Craig, LOL! If only painting the buggers was that fast! Re: Visors, yes to Green Stuff. I've tried paper and plasticard strips in the past but it's so damn fiddly! When you think you have it sussed, one end or the other pops up again. Don't laugh about the neon green though. I have tins of Humbrol Neon Green and Neon Orange from around 1980 which are still on the go!

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great project! I'm really forward to seeing these guys emerge as your project develops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Arcturus. I've dug out my battalion of Peter Pig WW2 Soviet SMGs in greatcoats and am eyeing them up with evil intent as Neo-Soviet Kombine Militia......

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  8. Force XXI is back in business, and has some grav/hover vehicles suitable for your needs, including Russian/Soviet looking tanks, and updated BRDM's and BTR's without tracks.

    Worth a look, if you want to stay on the Soviet/Russian theme for your vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah! I see now! They arent actually painted! Youve been using some computer hijinx! Thats what I get for not looking at the full sized image before commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Force XXI Neo-Soviet models look great and I've eyeballed the T80's as Hyrkanian MBTs.

    Unfortunately in this instance, I'm after a more retro-Neo Soviet look. BTR40s, BTR152s, ASU-57s that sort of thing. Anyways, let's get the infantry and guns done and I'll worry about armour closer to the time.

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete